Mexico Missions with Pastor Juan Mauricio
Compassionate hearts and generous gifts from Atonement family and friends
helped us share gifts from God on the border...
Atonement has a long-standing partnership with Pastor Juan Mauricio and his wife Romilia with missions serving the poor inPiedras Negras, a Mexican border town across from Eagle Pass, Texas and the Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico. They lead an ecumenical organization of volunteers that work to help those in need.
The most recent group spent several days in early March 2014 serving those on the border. As a result:
- Total families served -- approximately 75
- Home deliveries to 14 families included a month’s supply of food, toiletries, clothing, and school supplies if needed
- Community meal served about 150 people (meat loaf, mashed potatoes, gravy, beans, corn, green beans, bread and fruit drink)
- 50 food bags were distributed (beans, rice, flour, oil, sugar, coffee, bouillon, tuna, shampoo, tooth paste, and bar soap)
- 50 plus families were given a bag containing a fleece throw, tooth brushes, toiletries, health kit, jewelry, scarves, hats & ball caps. A family member chose underwear, T shirts, toys, books, nail polish, lip stick, chap stick, bandanas, and flip flops.
- 130 backpacks were filled and distributed
- Provided health supplements to 4 families
- Blood pressure checks to all who asked
- 35 eye glasses (readers) fitted to adults in need plus sun glasses for kids and adults
- Family photographs taken and pictures given out along with some individual and “friends” pictures
- Stocked the medicine cabinet at the Casa Mano Amiga
- Provided bibles to every family that asked
- Offering to San Lucas Lutheran in Eagle Pass, TX for their food pantry
- Offering to Pastor Isaac’s Christian Church in Piedras Negras
- Offering to Mano Amiga food program and for propane
- Offerings to 11 friends and helpers to Mano Amiga
- PROVIDED 12 COMPUTERS with monitors, keyboards, mouse, computer software, router, and printer to the Ciber Café at Casa Mano Amiga to help with homework program and for adult usage
Opportunities to serve this ministry include collections of supplies, donations to mission trips and serving as a missionary when trips are scheduled.
For more information on how Atonement serves our neighbords in Mexico, contact Peggy Sloyer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please inquire if you are interested in the 2015 trip across the border!
Mexico Mission 2014
Mexico Mission Trip to Piedras Negras, Mexico - March 7th through the 15th, 2014